skip to main content

Hermon Community Resource Centre, Hermon, Glogue & Llanfyrnach

Hermon Community Resource Centre, Hermon, Glogue & Llanfyrnach

GLOGUE, HERMON AND LLANFYRNACH are three relatively Small villages (populations of about 50, 185 and 60 respectively), located about three miles south east of Crymych in the north eastern part of Pembrokeshire. Glogue, Hermon and Llanfyrnach are sited to the south of the Afon Tâf. Whilst there is a rich archaeological history in this area, the more recent economic activities have been related to hill farming, the quarrying of slate and the mining of lead and silver. The silver/lead mine operated on an intermittent basis from the 1790s until 1877 / 78. At one time Glogue slate quarry was one of the largest in the county. Since regular operations ceased in 1926, the quarry has been worked intermittently and still provides occasional stone for this part of Pembrokeshire. The Cardi Bach railway which operated between Whitland, Clunderwen and Crymych since 1875 (and extended to Cardigan in the 1880s) was closed in 1964. The track was subsequently raised and much of the route sold back to local landowners. Glogue and Llanfyrnach were on the railway. A local haulage industry has grown up in Llanfyrnach at the site of the former station; it is the largest local employer. The Church at Llanfyrnach is thought to have been founded in the 5 th Century by St Brynach, at one time Chaplain to Brychan the ruler of what became Brecnockshire. There is some evidence that the original Church was in the field opposite the entrance to Trehenry Farm, which is now a CADW listed site. At sometime during the Norman period the Church was built on the present site within the castle precinct. The castle mound can still be seen in the grounds of Francis Ceramics. The church had a chequered history in its patronage, belonging at different times to monasteries and societies, eg The Knights Templar. The Church was much restored in the middle of the 18 th Century, and then again in the 19 th Century and took on its present form in the 1930’s. Today it again requires extensive restoration work. It is believed that the ruin next to the Church gate is the remains of an old schoolroom. At one time there were several standing stones and one remains at the entrance to Rhydigarth Farm in Llanfyrnach. The Preseli area of North Pembrokeshire is well known for its standing stones. Stonehenge was thought to originate from here. The stones either being moved by brute force or else by means of a glacier in the last ice age. Hermon has its own share of stones. There is a legend about a battle on Mynydd Bigni (which overlooks the village) and where two Welsh Chieftains were killed. It is said that two big stones were erected to mark their graves and they can both still be seen near to Brynmeini. Hermon had six shops including a Post Office and garage, the village was linked to the lead and silver mines of Glogue. Ancestors to the Mansel Davies Company were blacksmiths to the lead mines, who then expanded to agricultural machinery and then the family business that we recognise it today.



The Hall

The Hermon Community Resource Centre is the site of the old primary school that was closed in 2006. The parents and residents fought to keep the school open (it was full to capacity) but when it was shut by the local authority, the locals raised funds via a community share offer to purchase the site in 2008.


The old school site is currently being extended and has a fantastic new extension with a 150 seater hall with demountable stage, backstage rooms, and fully licensed bar.  A new kitchen is due to be fitted later this year.  The first floor, also due to be completed by the summer, has 2 meeting/conference rooms holding up to 30 people in each.  There are also 5 micro-business offices for hot desk rental, or for long term rental if you need that bit of extra space to develop your business.


See our website for the most up-to-date information about rates, rooms, events and news - www.canolfanhermon.org.uk


Features

60 plastic folding tables


Over 200 chairs


Wireless Broadband Connection


Online Conference Facilities


Digital Projector


 


50” Plasma TV with DVD Player


Community PC and Web Cam


Wii Sport Console


Fully Licensed Bar


Demountable stage


Disabled toilets & full disabled access


Photocopying and colour printing services


Contact

Holly Cross / Sion Phillips   Tel:01239 831968  Email: holly@cwmarian.org.uk / sion@cwmarian.org.uk

What's On At Hermon Community Resource Centre, Hermon, Glogue & Llanfyrnach

 

 



Location



Directions

From the M4 heading west:

Follow the motorway (which ends and turns into the A48) to Carmarthen, onto the A40 at Carmarthen towards Haverfordwest. 

At Penblewin roundabout turn right onto the A478, follow this for 7 miles until you reach Crymych.

Turn right in Crymych by Preseli High School, and follow the road for 2 miles and you will reach Hermon.

Turn left into the village - the Community Resource Centre is in the middle of the village on your left.


Facilities

  • ParkingParking
  • Wheelchair Access to frontWheelchair Access to front
  • WCWC
  • Accessible WCAccessible WC
  • Ramp (up)Ramp (up)
  • Ramp (down)Ramp (down)