Created as a Shipbuilding town, Pembroke Dock had a colourful history with almost every regiment of the British Army garrisoned here at some time to protect the Royal Dockyard. At one time every street had at least one pub with longer roads such as High Street having half a dozen. Saturday nights were lively with Dockyard workers and off duty soldiers creating their own rowdy entertainment. Economic hard times followed when the Dockyard closed in the 1920’s, which were somewhat helped when the RAF Flying Boat Squadrons including the famous Sunderlands, were based here. Later on the Oil Industry brought further employment and the town continues today as a shopping centre with a variety of engineering companies on the outskirts of the town supplying the Refineries and gas terminals in the Haven Waterway.
Originally built as a Temperance Hall by local dignitaries who were appalled by the drunkenness encountered on the streets in the early 1900’s, the Hall flourished as an entertainment centre.
During the war and the air raids on the town, It was used as quarters for the scores of firemen from all over Wales who attended the massive oil tank fires at Pennar which lasted for over a week. That came to an abrupt end when the Hall was hit by a bomb and badly damaged. It was rebuilt in 1954 and given to the people of the town and was managed by the Town Council until a Community Trust was formed Eight years ago to administer the hall.
A registered Charity (No. 1105080), it is run by a committee of ten trustees.
There is a large main hall with a sprung beech floor reputed to be the best in Pembrokeshire for dancing; plus three large function rooms. There is disabled access and disabled toilets and every room has kitchen facilities. The building is licensed and the main hall has a bar.
Main Hall is £10.50 per hour and the three function rooms are £6.50 per hour. Small extra charges apply for kitchen or bar facilities to be included.
The Main Hall has a large stage and can seat over 240 theatre style or cabaret style tables and seating can be arranged (150). There is a sound system if required.
The smaller rooms accommodate 50 people.
There is limited on street parking and it is just a short wlak from the main town car park. There is wheelchair access from the front and rear of the buidling with prior notice required for access to the rear of the building. There are two chair lifts.
The Hall is in the town centre on the corner of Dimond Street and Lewis Street. It is 80 yards from the Main town car park.