Situated 2 miles from Tenby, Penally is nevertheless a village with its own identity. It is a linear village; stretching from DJs night club and the Paddock Inn in the east to the Territorial Army Camp in the west. The village has a bypass where the railway station is situated and also the Overlander Restaurant. From there it is a short walk to the centre of the village, with village green, Parish Church, the well stocked village shop and the Cross Inn, which serves food. Bus routes through the village go to Tenby, Pembroke and Haverfordwest. The village school has in recent years become a Behaviour Support unit serving pupils from all over Pembrokeshire.
Penally has a 3 star hotel – Penally Abbey, The Paddock Inn, several guest houses, a taxi cab business, several caravan sites as well as Trefloyne Golf Club with restaurant, rooms and function facilities.
St Nicholas and St Teilo’s Church in the centre of the village contains 10th century Celtic Crosses. Close to the Abbey Hotel is St Deiniols well and at the other end of the village just off Trefloyne Lane is Hoyles Mouth Cave, which was inhabited from the early Stone Age. Archaeological findings are in Tenby Museum. This area also saw a skirmish in the Civil War. The village has an established military connection; tented camps were provided for the cavalry in earlier years, practice trenches were dug on the cliffs near the village in the First World War and there is a current range for Army shooting practice between the station and the beach. A leaflet with a self guided walk of these interesting features is available at the village shop.
The current Village Hall has been in use since 1984, replacing a Nissen hut. In recent years additions have been made such as kitchen improvements, disabled access, audiovisual equipment and a car park, with parking for up to 6 cars. There is an outside gazebo available for hire. and bunting. Further car parking is available at Penally Station, 5 minutes walk away, and there is a bus stop close to the hall
Dawnsio Llinell yn y Neuadd
Bowlio Mat Byr
Rhif Elusen: 516382
- Small car park, with parking for up to 6 cars.
- Portable, adaptable staging.
- A small marquee is also available for hire with the hall.
- Multifunctional sound system
- PPL and PRS licence for live and recorded music
- Electronic Keyboard.
- Projector and Drop down screen.
- Heating is through protected radiators controlled by a thermostat.
- There are thirteen 4’ tables; four 6’ tables and twenty small square tables.
- Comfortable padded chairs or plastic chairs are available and 8 small childrens’ chairs.
- The Hall’s kitchen is equipped with cooker, fridge, microwave oven, independent water heater.
- It has crockery and cutlery for 100 and a serving hatch.
- The hall has one room available for hire: licensed for 150