With its elevated rural position Tavernspite benefits from panoramic views across the county and the scenery is appreciated by the locals. It is felt to be a safe neighbourhood and has a low crime rate with a number of people mentioning good neighbours. Although a small village there is a thriving school with many children attending from well outside the catchment area and there is a strong community feeling. A very active playgroup is run in the village hall and there is a small play area attached to the hall. There is a social group for the more mature residents and many ladies get together at the Women’s Institute.
The village has a pub/restaurant and garden centre with restaurant as well as a caravan site with a clubhouse. Tavernspite is seen as a very nice place to live with its central location to Haverfordwest and Carmarthen for work and close proximity to the coast for leisure.
Chances are that if you were travelling into Pembrokeshire from south Wales 200 years ago that you would have passed through Tavernspite as it formed part of the regular mail coach route. Originally there was just one building an inn called Tafarn Ysbyty that was believed to have once been a hospice for pilgrims to St Davids and built by the monks of Whitland Abbey. One of the earliest records of Tavernspite is recorded by Emanuel Bowen in 1729 and shows a building where the Plume of Feathers now stands and very little changed until the A40 and A477 were built and developed. In the early 1800’s two public houses were built on the Pembrokeshire side of the border known as Tavernspite and Spite (the latter probably on the site of Myrtle Villa) and by 1841 there were at least 10 buildings including 4 cottages and a shop. In 1845 the National School opened on the site of Beynon’s Court thanks to the hard work of the Rev William Seaton, Rector of Lampeter Velfrey and a grant from Parliament. In 1846 there were 124 children on the books but these numbers fluctuated greatly with children frequently working on the farms during the various seasons. The present school was built in 1954 and continues to draw children in from a wide area.
The village really started to grow in the 20th century. Gwynfryn which originally comprised of a shop and bakery later became a garage and petrol station before it was established as the Alpha Inn in 1963. The Village Hall was built in 1924 on land donated by the Thomas family of Pantglas. After the Second World War mains water came to the village, whereas up until then residents had used the pump opposite Myrtle Villa to draw water from the 60ft well. Two council houses were built in 1947 and electricity arrived in1953. A further six council houses (Mount Pleasant) were built in 1955. By 1988 there were 56 properties in the village but many more have been built since over several small estates.
Maximum capacity 140, but seats 80 comfortably. There is room to park a couple of cars in front of the hall but otherwise there is on road parking.
Like us on facebook – Tavernspite Village Hall
- The hall has a fully equipped kitchen with crockery etc for approx. 80 people.
- There is a fitted kitchen complete with an electric cooker microwave and kettle.
- Electric heating in the hall.
- Hall can be divided by centre curtain
- Tables and chairs available